Laplet or tabtop which is more commonly known as the 2-in-1 laptop is a type of computer that can be ported and has the feature of both laptops and tablets. We can use it both ways like a Laptop or Tablet.
In a 2-in-1 pc or laptop, the chassis is more thin and light, so it is very easy to carry. The tablet mode is most convenient for non-intensive tasks like media diet and all. On the other hand, the laptop mode is more intensive than the tablet mode and this is very useful for serious content production.
There are two types of 2-in-1 laptops, which we will discuss now.
Types of 2-in-1 Laptops:
There are two types of 2-in-1 laptops which are as follows:-
- Convertible laptops- Convertible laptops are also known as 2-in-1 attached laptops. Here the in-built keyboard cannot be completely detached. While we can rotate, fold, or slide the keyboard behind the display to change the mode.
- Hybrid laptops- Hybrid laptops are also called 2-in-1 detachable laptops. These laptops have the feature that the display screen can be detached completely. This can be used as a tablet via the touch-screen.
So these are the types of 2-in-laptops. Let’s see how these 2-in-1 laptops are different from the traditional ones. There are many differentiations like laptop performance, usage, cost, etc.
Difference Between Traditional & 2-in-1 Laptops:
- In traditional laptops, there are USB ports and display ports on the chassis, while in 2-in-1 ones we have the ports on the chassis as well as on the display screen.
- The traditional tablets have their OS, while the 2-in-1 tablets have the OS of full-featured laptops.
- The most prominent contrast creates between the traditional ones and the 2-in-1 ones is the keyboard. The keyboard in the 2-in-1 ones is provided to create a more ergonomic typing experience.
- The 2-in-1 ones fall under the category of parallel to Ultrabook, while the traditions fall under both normal and ultrabook as per their system design.
- The chassis of 2-in-1s are very lighter and thinner than the normal traditional ones, which makes them more comfortable to carry.
- The battery life and the CPU in the 2-in-1s are better and more power-efficient than the normal traditional ones.
- The most important contrast that the 2-in-1s create with the ultrabook is the touch-screen display and the detachable keyboard.
So, these are the contrast to traditional laptops or tablets, which make the 2-in-1s more prominent to work. Now, let us discuss the pros and cons of these laptops.
Advantages of 2-in-1 Laptops:
- Price- It is cheaper than having a laptop and tablet at the same time.
- Apps and Software- The detachable tablet can run all the office apps.
- TPMs- These devices have trusted platform modules or TPMS, which means you can have trusted in-built chips for security reasons.
- Length- The 2-in-1s have a display like laptops, so when we use it as a tablet we usually get a bigger display than a traditional tablet.
- Kickstand & rotation- this device has kickstands that help you to adjust the display at any angle you want. Also, you can flip these devices at 360°, so that you can use them as a tablet without detaching the keyboard.
- Work compatibility- It has a touchpad along with a touchscreen which helps us to work more comfortably by providing multiple ways to control it. Hence enhancing the working compatibility.
- Keyboard- As stated earlier the keyboard of these devices provides you more ergonomic experience.
- Operating System- When we use these 2-in-1 laptops as a tablet we get a full-featured OS like a PC, which helps us with the friendlier working environment for a tablet. Also, it enhances the speed and performance of a tablet.
- Ports- It provides a lot of USB ports and Display ports, which help you to connect more devices than usual laptops or tablets.
- Processor & Clock speed- Most of the devices have an i7 processor and clock speed of 2.8 GHz which makes your device a super-fast and very efficient working environment.
- Display- Most of the models of the 2-in-1s provide a 4K display, which provides a great experience while watching a high-definition motion picture.
Disadvantages of 2-in-1 Laptops:
- Thickness- 2-in-1s are usually light, but when we use the tablet mode it is usually heavy and thick than the traditional tablets.
- Length- When we use it in laptop mode, the size of the display and the keyboards are smaller than the usual traditional laptops.
- GPUs- GPUs are not as advanced as other traditional laptops, the 2-in-1s mostly provide mobile GPUs.
- Price- 2-in-1s are much more costly than the normal traditional laptops or tablets if anyone wants to buy only a laptop or only a tablet.
- Storage space- Storage space is the most problematic issue in 2-in-1s; here the internal mass storage device is very less. Here the 256 GB is considered to be much more than the usual traditional ones. Also on the tablet, you get non-expandable storage as a result only a limited amount of files can be saved. Only a very few models offer a Hard disk drive of 1 TB.
- System strength & battery life- One of the most important drawbacks of the 2-in-1s is the system strength and the battery life. Due to spacing problems, these systems do not provide cooling fans, as a result, the System has to provide a less powerful processor. If provides with a cooling fan then it will draw more power than usual. So, you have to compromise either the system strength or the battery life.
- Display angle- There are a few 2-in-1 laptops in which you can only adjust the angle into a few positions unless it has a kickstand.
- Mechanism- Sometimes the mechanism of attachment and detachment is mechanical in place of magnetic. So, if it gets broken, then your device will be broken.
So these are the disadvantages of a 2-in-1 laptop.
The 2-in-1 laptops support OS like- Microsoft Windows, Google Chrome OS, etc. While Apple doesn’t support the idea of 2-in-1. Alike apple, hardware vendors don’t support the idea of 2-in-1 laptops.
So let us discuss the usability of these 2-in-1 laptops. If you want to use the device for lightweight things like media consumption and lightweight content creation then you can buy these devices. These devices are not suitable for gaming or any heavyweight work like video editing, etc. It’s like choosing flexibility over performance.